Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I looked up lent on google images and this is what came up lol....


For those of you who don't know, Lent is a Christian tradition that lasts the 44 days leading up to Easter. There are three tasks during Lent- fasting, almsgiving and prayer. Fasting for 40 days symbolizes Jesus's 40 days in the wilderness. Although some churches have certain dietary restrictions set in place, many times people decided for themselves what they wish to abstain from. This year I decided to do it Greek Orthodox style and give up all animal products, olive oil and wine (although I don't drink anyway so that shouldn't be a problem).
I guess the purpose of Lent is to work on self discipline, and to refocus on God. It's also about taking something in your life that is bad or unproductive to your spiritual life and turning it into something good. For instance, someone who gave up Starbucks for Lent might take all the money he would have spent there, and donate it to charity instead.
So yeah...thats what Lent is about, hope I didn't confuse you too much lol.

5 comments:

  1. Great post :) I wish you the best of luck during this month, you are very strong in giving up all animal products. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to do it. I LUV ZEE CAT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's okay kitty, there is delicious vegan tomato soup in shafer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha omggg i haven't given anything up yet. I'm bad, I don't know what TO give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire this and best luck with the 44 days, Anisah and Lynsey will make you stronger by eating infront of you haha

    If I had to choose one thing it would be fruits, I eat them too much

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anisah: Thanks! I love zee kitteh too!.
    Nah, you could totally do it!

    Lynsey: The kitty and I both feel much better now knowing that!

    Kyrstle: lol chocolate is always a good one ;)

    Ansari: Thanks! lol yeah Anisah and Lynsey are definitely benefitting from this, seeing as how I give them all my food and candy that I can't eat.
    that's cool, I'm not sure you can eat too much fruit though lol. My weakness is chocolate

    ReplyDelete